Health Worker Safety
The Health Worker Safety Pilot Project equips volunteer medical teams with transformational medical products and opportunities for training with access to educational resources.
Americares is committed to advancing health worker safety through the donation of safety-engineered devices as well as HCV rapid diagnostic tests to qualified recipients.
We will donate rapid diagnostic tests and safety-engineered devices to be left with your in-country partner, if you:
- Have assessed needs of your partner facility.
- Can provide training on their use in addition to your patient care responsibilities.
- Will train in-country partner on WHO Updated Guidelines on Injection Safety.
- Will administer a test before and after training (see pre and post test under resources). If you select the Word document instead of the web version (both provided), we ask that you email the number of test participants and before and after scores.
- Can provide an in-country contact at the facility accepting responsibility for the remaining products.
- Will complete a brief post-trip survey (in addition to trip report) and provide feedback in the future as needed on how to most effectively implement this initiative.
Here is a short prioritized list of the most essential training materials. Feel free to print them out and take them on your trip to help with training your in-country partner.
- WHO Updated Guidelines on Injection Safety (To use for training and administration of pre and post test)
Pre and Post Test:
- Americares Medical Outreach Health Worker Safety Pre and Post Test Document*
or Web Survey
or Spanish Version
- Americares Medical Outreach Health Worker Safety Pre and Post Test Answers
or Spanish Version
*If you select the Word document instead of the web version, we ask that you email the number of test participants and before and after scores.
Additional Injection Safety Resources:
- Infection Prevention and Control in a Healthcare Facility
- Post Exposure Guidelines
- Safe Healthcare Waste Management
- Safe Management of Wastes from Healthcare Activities
- Health Care Worker Health and Safety: Preventing Needlestick Injury and Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens
- Giving Safe Injections
- Injection Safety Toolbox: Management Resources for Safe and Appropriate Use of Injection Policies
- Medpact University of Central Florida Health Worker Safety Presentation
- Medpact University of Central Florida Health Worker Safety Presentation (Spanish Version)
About the Rapid Diagnostic Tests
- OraQuick® HCV Rapid Antibody Test Customer Letter
- OraQuick ADVANCE ® Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test Customer Letter
The Health Worker Safety Pilot Project equips volunteer medical teams with transformational medical products and opportunities for training with access to educational resources. Apply for safety-engineered devices and rapid diagnostic tests for your in-country partner.
We have a limited supply of Masimo Rad-5 pulse oximeters available for primary care use. The units have an adult probe, an optional pediatric probe, and disposable batteries.
Americares is committed to advancing safe surgical care. Through our Safe Surgery Initiative, we will donate pulse oximeters to qualified recipients.